Saturday, October 14, 2006

Winter is here... the heat is not

When last we saw the incredible edible egg, it was swimming in the water trying to see if it was rotten or not (see post Amelia Bedelia on August 14). Today we join the egg sunny-side up on a lovely toasted piece of bread... still in the skillet? and on the stove? and half eaten?
Okay, there's a story to be told...


Last night I thought I would go ahead and turn the heat on so my roommates and I wouldn't turn into little icicles while we slept. With temperatures in the 30s it could happen! Well, the heat never came on. I thought, we sleep pretty bundled in our little cocoons so we'll be alright. This morning however we were so cold. I thought I was back in Botswana! I bundled myself in a longsleeve shirt, sweater, jeans, socks and shoes and tried the heater again... nothing. I was the only one up so I went to make breakfast. Since I thought I was back in Botswana I made my favorite breakfast from our trip... sunny-side up eggs on toast, with a touch of salt. Yummy! I realized while I was making the eggs that it was warm over the stove (Thank you Capt. Obvious, right?). So I thought I'd take advantage of the warmth in my 58 degree house to eat my breakfast over the stove, keeping my breakfast warm on the skillet. Yummy and warm!


When Hannah got up she called about getting the heater fixed. The Heating/Air guy was going to come sometime this afternoon. Yea for our landlord! So I went on out to study for a while. When I came back... still cold... still 58 degrees. I still had studying to do. So, I put on my only scarf (made by my friend Jenn's mom - thank you Mrs. Simmons) and took my little camping chair to the only spot on our lot with sun, our weird front lawn.

Well, the reason it was so cold inside the house is because it was cold last night and still cold this morning. The sunshine was so so nice but the breeze was a bit brisk. After about an hour of the brisk cool air I thought I would go inside and brave the cool air there.

My roommates have a wonderful little contraption in their bathroom that I thought only rich people had (we must be rich!)... it's a heating lamp for when you get out of the shower. It also happens to sit directly above the toilet. And (since we're rich and all now) there happens to be a cover to the toilet which makes a nice little chair. So, I studied for a few minutes by the reddish-orange glow and warmth of the heat lamp in the front bath.

And after that excitement died down (not so long lasting) I went to the den and studied there until the Heating/Air guy came. I added a blanket to my warming wardrobe and lit some candles (note to reader: candles don't really warm you up unless you are right next to them. another note to the read: being right next to candles might result in burning of something other than the wick... bad idea).

No comments: