Monday, September 03, 2007

Today's Ten - Friends

Ten Friends whom have made a big impact on my life...

1. Shannon - We have known each other for 11 years now (maybe 12) and I love her more every year. We have lived together, prayed together, cried together, celebrated together, discussed serious (and some not so serious) theological issues, and have enjoyed life together. She is the kind of friend who is just enough like me to know how to challenge, rebuke and encourage but not enough like me to irritate me. She is a woman of integrity and has been since the moment we met. Her love for the Lord and His ways is contagious and I only wish I could be around her more.
2. Deborah - I have learned more about God's grace from this woman than from any one else I know, (except maybe one of my grad school professors). She was the first of my good friends to get married and have kids. She is such a wonderful example to me of being a godly wife and mother; all the time living in and showing grace.
3. Sally, Sara, Sharon, Krissy - Along with Shannon and Deborah, I've known these ladies for 11 years. Our friendship is such a beautiful example of the body of Christ. We are all so different but because of Christ in our lives we love one another. I am thankful for their individual perspectives on life and their great love for me.
4. Laura - Laura and I met in 6th grade. We did all kinds of things together in middle school. She wasn't a Christian and did not want to hear me talk about it. We parted ways somewhere along high school. One day in college I got an email from her that she had become a Christian!!! A few years later I was her maid of honor. I love that God allows us to be in each other's lives still!
5. April - April has known me since I was in the 6th or 7th grade. She was my youth pastor's wife and my small group leader. She was my first example of what it looked like to lead a group of students and love them by sharing life with them. We had a few slumber parties that left behind embarrassing pictures and videos. She has kept up with me since then, praying for me and encouraging me. Her honesty was always what I needed to hear whether I wanted to hear it or not.
6. Hannah - We've known each other for a few years and have been roommates for a little over 1 year. She really is a God-send. Her love for God and His Word, not just in statement but in her life, is refreshing for me. She has spurred me on in my relationship with the Lord in so many different ways that I can see. What an honor!
7. Jen - Jen and I met over hot cocoa at Abby's Coffee Mill in Augusta, GA 7 years ago. Her husband, David, (who has also had a rather large impact on my life) had just taken the student pastor job. I had the honor of ministering alongside of her with the girls in the student ministry.
8. Sarah - 3 years ago when I walked out of the housing office at SEBTS I had a name and number for my new roommate. Before I could call her we had been reassigned. We met at orientation, put 2 and 2 together and have been friends ever since. She has called me out on things and reminded me of God's character in such a way that makes me continually run to the throne of grace.
9. Jenny - I don't recall when I met Jenny. She welcomed me into her home and family many years ago. We sat together each Sunday morning with the deaf ministry and then Sunday nights I would join the rest of the family to watch a TV show that we liked... a lot. She's been a great example of a wife and mom (she's got all teenagers now) - much more laid back than my temperament tends to be.
10. You - We've known each other anywhere from 20 years to a few months. You've taught me about God's faithfulness, love, and mercy. You've been an example on how to be a better student, daughter, roommate, woman, leader, and friend. Because of our friendship I have been challenged and encouraged. Thank you!

4 comments:

Matthew said...

ahem... 28 years .... no fair that you're 2 years older... love you sis.

Sarah said...

fun post. i love you. i miss you like sammie misses mouse toys ;) maybe more

Jen T. said...

how could i not love this post!!!!!!!!!!

Lainey Bug and John Stanley III said...

I feel so honored :) YOU, my friend, have encouraged me so much in the past 11 years - I'm SO THANKFUL to have SHANNON SIMONEAU as one of my 'ten' ;)
Love, Deb