Saturday, January 13, 2007

DIY night

Tonight was do-it-yourself night in our humble abode. It all started this afternoon when Hannah started dinner in her new Crock.Pot. I got an itch to try and fix the motor boat sound that is my laptop fan. So, I opened it up and saw that there was in fact not a small amount of dust bunnies (perhaps an entire little bunny family).


I had to rescue the bunnies (and more importantly, my computer). I got some tweezers and some q-tips and went to town. After the computer was all cleaned out we had a fabulous do-it-yourself beef stew. Thank you Hannah!


Dinner and a computer cleaning do not, however, institute a do-it-yourself night. Hannah gave me a neat crafty paper thing for Christmas and today while we were out I got the rolly thing to make it work. Here is one of the "plates", the rolly thing, and the finished product. It's so neat! Oh, if you get a fun embossed card or the like from me, you now know that I didn't take 30 minutes to trace each tee-tiny little detail... it was the rolly thing. :)


Any normal do-it-yourselfer may have been satisfied with those two things (I don't get to count Hannah's dinner as my own DIY) but not me. Next on the list: flower pens. I had made them before several years ago. My friend Jen taught me. I was reminded of them again last weekend when we (at Jen's prompting) made bouquets of them for the ladies whom we had a shower for. I thought it was so lovely that I made a whole bouquet for our home too. My flowers kept falling down into the vase so I had to put some fancy-shmancy gravel in it (I had some laying around the house for just such an occasion).


This is what a flower pen looks like up close. I'll tell you the secret if you ask. :)


Maybe if you, Ms. Do-It-Yourselfer, have made it this far you will not be surprised to see that I have yet another do-it-yourself project for the night. (I really did do all these things tonight!!!) This one though I had been looking forward to for weeks! My sweet friend Amber came over to teach me how to crochet!!! I taught myself to knit several years back with the help of RealSimple magazine. I've only ever made 1 scarf which I gave to my friend Sally before she went back overseas (Remember that Sal?) to her cold home. I had heard that crocheting was faster and easier than knitting so I thought I'd try it. 1 hour and 15 minutes later I'm a pro! Just kidding. I'm no pro to be sure. Amber was a very patient instructor as she showed me the single and double crochet. It's so fun!

So, that's the DIY night! I hope you enjoyed enough that you were inspired to have one of your own sometime!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm officially at Mrs. DIYer for reading the whole blog and being intrigued by every project, not to mention finding out that Hannah likes beef stew?? Great! Can't wait to see you this weekend and catch up for real.