Friday, May 23, 2008

Mom's Surgery - update

I have sent so many emails and had so many phone calls that I just realized that I hadn't updated the blog.

Below is my favorite email update from 6:40 last night. And the latest this morning is that she slept as much as she could with the doctor and nurses coming in and out checking on her. She had french toast and orange juice for breakfast. She's resting, dad's watching tv, and I'm blogging. When I'm done blogging I'll be reading "Do Hard Things." (Great book - you should read it!)

Hi!

Thank you for all your encouragement and prayers for my mom. She is resting right now in her high-tech hospital bed. She's probably in a food-coma from all the jello, italian ice, chicken broth, and tea that she's had. Surely you noted the sarcasm in that last statement. :)

Here's the recap of the surgery (as far as I know):
She went in around 1pm. The surgery was the predicted 1 1/2 hours. Apparently it was a good thing (why wouldn't it have been?) that the doc was checking out the 2 places he did in her neck. One section did have a bone spur and the other had a disc fragment (no clue where it came from or really what it was). I don't know what was done as far as the deteriorating discs... if they made my mom more into the Bionic Woman or not. In conclusion, the surgery went well.
She was in recovery for about an hour.

She's been in and out of rest (who knows if she's sleeping or not) since then. Oh, and there's been plenty of visitors. It's so nice (although somewhat tiring) to know that people care about my mom! She's even gotten a phone call in the room. She's one of 3 people from their church in this hospital today so the church folk are getting a 3-fer on their hospital visitation checklist. :)

Dad's out getting dinner right now... and a little break from the hospital. When he gets back I'll go to the house to take care of the dog and do some things around the house to prepare for mom to come home tomorrow. It's looking like I'll be back in Dtown Saturday sometime.

It's been kind of weird today but fun too! Check out my blog for some picture and story updates from the day. www.alifewellphotographed.blogspot.com

I am so thankful for your prayers and support during this. It really means a lot.

Thanks again,
Shannon

No comments: