Wednesday, October 31, 2007

Do you like surprises?


I wrote this yesterday but the internet I was using wasn't reliable...

I am sitting in my parents' guest bedroom right now.
I came down to their house in GA yesterday and pulled off the biggest surprise EVER!
I was not going to see my family until Christmas so I took a few days off of work to see them now. I checked with my dad to make sure that it was a good time to come but we didn't tell my mom.
To make the surprise bigger, I called my mom on the way into their neighborhood and was talking up a storm about how my weekend was and asking her how she was doing, etc. I pulled up to the house, parked and walked to the front door. In the middle of one of her stories I asked her to hold on a minute, covered the mouth piece, rang the doorbell and returned to the phone. When I got back on the phone she said, "Hold on Shan, (dog barks), hold on. Someone's at the door." It was everything in me not to laugh out loud since it was ME at the door. She cracked the door and looked at me for a second and then looked a little closer (she said later that she was trying to figure out which one of the neighbors I was). She looked at the phone and then back at me and finally realized that I was in fact standing on the front step. She clearly was not expecting me. We hung our phones up and I went in and we hugged. Then she asked, "How did you get here?" Well, I drove but she was probably still thinking I was in NC 2 seconds ago since we were talking on the phone as if I was there. We laughed and she cried and we laughed some more and hugged some more.
It was the best surprise EVER!
I wish I had a picture, better yet, a video but I wouldn't trade the moment for the recording of the moment! :)
I love you mom!
Way to go dad for not letting her know I was coming! :) I love you too!

No comments: