Saturday, September 06, 2008

Hanna and Hannah's house (How we handled the hurricane)

Brought to you by the letter "H"
(Lainey Bug and Ellie can you count the number of "H"s in the title of this blog? Love you!)
We've been pretty oddly excited this week with the hurricanes. Let me rephrase that: we've been pretty excited this week with the NAMES of the hurricanes.
One of my roommates' names is Hannah and the other roommates' boyfriend's name is Ike. Seriously. So we've been tracking those storms pretty closely.
This is the very short story of how we at Hannah's house handled Hanna...

The day before
Somewhere along the way a tree limb fell on a power line at our house. Yesterday the power company came and cut it down. Thank you power company.
Oh, and I bought bottled water yesterday. Water is all I drink so... I bought some just in case.

The morning of
I woke up to rain, wind, and flash flood warnings. I postponed my involvement in the Cole Mill workday thinking that others had done the same. (It turns out that a whopping 30 people showed up at 8am, despite the weather and warnings) A shower, batch of pancakes (made, not eaten), and flashlight-find later we lost power. The sun was out, the blinds were open... no big deal right? Yeah, see, I don't like power outages. At all. Never have.

After Hannah and I tried to pass the no-power time by prepping the rest of her 5th graders' reading folders we packed up our laptops and books and headed to the land of power and free internet... Panera!

This is the damage we saw on the way home from Panera. Water is not supposed to be in these places.

Not sure what this afternoon holds but the power is supposed to be back on in about 30 minutes. Hooray!

No comments: