Wednesday, September 03, 2008

This Old House - Firsts

The "This Old House" post(s) are more for me than for you. I do hope that you will remember some great times in your life with thankfulness.

This is my childhood house. I had a lot of firsts there.

First tree I climbed, at least that I remember

First gazebo

The gate my first backyard neighbors used

Where my first dog's kennel was

First big building project with my dad and brother

Where I first used a chainsaw

First tree house that I helped build
(it's been taken down but some boards are still there)

Where my brother and I buried our first time capsule

(behind the bush) Where I first learned "righty tighty, lefty loosey"

Where I parked my first car, shot my first goal, listened to my first mixed tape, helped with my first garage sale, and had my first song dedicated on the radio to me.

The first lawn I mowed

Where I painted my first picture that I actually hung in my home

Where I had my first phone, shared the gospel for the first time, helped run my first cable under the house, had my first TV, planned my first real lesson (well, for student teaching anyway), and cried like a baby after hearing about my first family death.

Where I first remember looking for Christmas presents (sorry mom and dad), borrowed my first pair of shoes, first pair of earrings, and first purse.

Where I first used a curling iron (and crimper), put on make up, had my head shampooed from my first lice case, learned my love for organizing, and got ready for my first prom.

The first place I remember when we looked at buying this house.
Where I signed up for my first email account, learned how to use a scanner, played an incredibly intense computer game with my dad (can't remember the name but I know we had an intense blueprint that we were supposed to be drawing and figuring out based on this game).

Where I washed my first load of laundry and washed a dog for the first time.

This court is where I had my first crush on an older man (2 years older I do believe - ha ha), first learned how to ride a skateboard, choreographed my first hip-hop routine (to Pump Up the Jam), rode in my first limo, and first dreamed about a neighborhood cookout.

And this is the last time my car will be parked in front.

2 comments:

Amanda Sublett said...

Okay - that actually choked me up a little - thinking of all my firsts in my folk's home - it is hard to let go and move with your parents... I could be cheesy and remind you of all of the firsts that could be experienced in their new home... (new man brought home to meet daddy, new nieces and nephews to enter the home, new man askes daddy an important question, Shannon and mommy shop for a special dress of white for the first time, and so on...) so a lot of great things are still to come - and they will begin a long list of new "firsts" in a great home filled with love... because isn't that what is really important? Your folks home was always filled with love, but it was because THEY were in it... now you will find the same in a new place...

how was that for a pep rally?

Now the truth - I did indeed choke up - and I think it really sucks that your folks are miving out of your childhood home...

Hugs!~

Matthew said...

Ok... the game was called Marrooned. You both never beat it, but at least you did better than I did.