Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Roll, Pirates, Roll!

Sara and I went to cheer on the RHS JV cheerleaders. 5 of them are in the Freshman girls' small group (and I've known some of those girls since they were in the 6th grade). Addy, Caitlin, and Courtney stuck around afterward and joined us for a picture.
I wish I had taken some video of a few different things, but one is worth sharing. Let me set the scene: There were 5 cheerleaders for the other team and 14 RHS cheerleaders. (The team of 5 where in the vain of Gabrielle Union's squad... and the RHS, that of Kirsten Dunst.) This gym only had one side of bleachers pulled out so the cheer squads were on the same 2 rows just on opposite ends. For the most part the squads didn't pay attention to each other. Then, out of no where, I found myself in the middle of Bring It On! We Ain't Losin'. Some loud and just barely non-understandable words are flying from the 5 cheerleaders from the opposition. Arms and faces are pointed at the RHS girls, then front, then back in the proper thrice repetition basketball-chant style. About half way through the first go, one of the RHS cheerleaders notices what these girls are doing and turns to her cheer coach, "Do you see what is happening? Do you see this?" I think if she wasn't reigned in (and apparently self-controlled) she might have taken these girls on all on her own. Her coach and team didn't pay much attention to her or the other squad.
Then I asked Sara what they were saying. "Get your own cheer!" in a very catchy cheery beat. Oh no they didn! Those girls were really trying to start a cheer-competition right there in the middle of the JV girls basketball game! 5 girls against 14 even. I couldn't believe it. The RHS rode it out and took the higher road - way to go girls!

No comments: